Pedal Assist (PAS) or torque sensor
Pedal Assist (PAS) or torque sensor? If you enjoy pedaling and/or saving battery then you may be interested in some assistance. In certain locations pedal assistance is also the law. The two most common types are PAS and a bottom bracket torque sensor.
Pedal Assist System (PAS)
- Generally included with hub motor kits
- Limited by the controllers algorithm, whether that be good or bad is left up to your controllers software
- Measures crank movement instead of force, therefore not as accurate or efficient
- More accuracy and efficiency
- Measures the force you apply to it and can distribute proportional force (or more, depending on your software)
- More flexibility, feels more like a bike than a typical PAS system.
- More expensive
- Requires drilling a hole in the bottom bracket shell for the wire