Brushless motors for e-bikes are a very mature technology and you can shop just about anywhere and expect to get a very usable motor. Wattage and amperage ratings however can be very strange to say the least and many advertisements bare little resemblance to reality. Many sellers will sell 250W/500W/750W rated motors that greatly exceed those specs, underrated so they can advertise to people looking for a legal motor in their country.
Others will over rate their motors to make it more attractive to people who wish to get maximum performance.
A better indicator is to ignore watts and look at amps, they tend to lie less about the amperage rating. Multiply your battery voltage by amps to get your true wattage rating. For example a 10A controller on a 52V battery will give you 520W.
Below is a list of the most common Mid drive motors:
- BSS02 (25A at 52V, 1300W)
- BSSHD (30A at 52V, 1560W)
- BSSUltra (30A at 52V, 1560W, built in torque sensor, requires custom frame to mount)
- Cyclone (40A at 48v to 72v, 2KW to 3KW)
- Cyclone Mini (40A at 48v to 72v, 2KW to 3KW)
- TSDZ2 (14A at 52v, 750W, built in torque sensor)
Good places to buy mid drives include
- Sick Bike Parts has the best cyclone package in town with upgraded waterproof motor connector and bluetooth programmable controller.
- LunaCycle Has the BSS02, BSSHD, Cyclone and Cyclone Mini.
Unlike mid drives, there are far too many hub motors to list here, but here are some of the more unique ones:
- Grin All Axle Hub: 500W continuous, 1000W peak, Hub with innovative torque arm solution and support for quick release, though axle and more via axle adapters.
- GMAC: 600W continuous, 1200W peak, 138mm dropouts, Clutchless geared hub, unique among geared hubs in that it allows regen braking.
- QS205: 3000W continuous, 6000W peak, 150mm dropouts. Super high power hub motor.
Good places to buy hub motors include:
Both hub motors and mid drives can also be bought from various run your own e-store services like
Look for people with high feedback (95%+) if you do buy from those services as not all sellers are equal in customer service.
It is generally recommend to buy your battery separate from a reputable vendor